- Alan is a former senior journalist with more than 30 years’ experience in the communications sector.
- He has held in-house communications management positions at BMW South Africa and Sanlam, and was managing director for the South African office of a New York-listed advisory firm and the country’s largest public relations firm at the time.
- A political science and communications graduate, Alan’s specialisations include:
- Executive media training (more than 900 sessions delivered)
- Issue and crisis management (provided counsel on close to 200 crises, and designed/facilitated more than 70 crisis simulations)
- Reputation science and marketing strategy
- Editorial assignments
- Change and transition management
- Leadership storytelling
- He has provided strategic communication and training solutions to more than half the JSE Top 40 companies, several Fortune 500 multi-nationals and 15 national government departments.
- Alan is the author of media, crisis management, marketing and social media policy guidelines for several listed and unlisted companies as well as national government departments and State-Owned Enterprises.
- Andile is a Public Relations Graduate who has had past working experience by assisting clients in the mining, transport and the energy sectors with their communication strategies.
- Andile Joined the Aprio team at the beginning of 2016 as a Junior Account Assistant.
- He has since worked on accounts for clients in the retail, mining, Financial and Renewable Energy sectors such as Edcon, Yellowwoods, African Rainbow Minerals, Associated British Foods and Enel Green Power South Africa.
- Dan is an editor and writer with over a decade’s experience preparing annual reports, op-eds, speeches, press releases and a host of other internal and external documents for several of South Africa’s most prominent companies.
- Before joining Aprio, Dan was communications manager for Tshikululu Social Investments.
- His strengths are writing and editing for clarity, concision and logic, which he provides for numerous Aprio clients.
Cecilia Pinto Taylor
- Cecilia is a highly skilled communications specialist with more than 30 years’ in-house and consulting experience spanning international trade, strategic communications and media relations.
- Having started off in academia, Cecilia moved into international trade promotion and communications. She was subsequently appointed head of media relations at one of South Africa’s leading financial institutions, Nedbank, a position she held for 11 years before joining a global corporate relations firm as a director.
- During that time, she worked with leading firms such as Investec, Liberty, Massmart and Lonmin, advising on media relations, reputation and issues management, crisis communication, stakeholder research and engagement and executive profiling.
- Aprio clients include Barclays Africa, Dis-Chem and other high-profile organisations from across the business spectrum.
- Cecilia holds a BA Honours Degree in Literature from the University of the Witwatersrand and completed a Senior Management Development Programme through Wits Business School.
- Hethen’s key strengths are investor relations programme design. This includes strategy, support and key messaging derived from extensive experience dealing with corporate shareholders, institutional investors, financial analysts communities, media, focus groups and other organisations both locally and internationally.
- His experience has included the control, supervision and co-ordination of investor relations and communications programmes and budgets, investor outreach (presentations, conferences, roadshows, stock exchange listings and one-on-one meetings), media and stakeholder liaison as well as peer group benchmarking by way of perception and other studies for the optimisation of the client’s investor relations requirements.
- Hethen has held senior new business development, investor relations and stakeholder engagement roles at major listed corporate entities (including Harmony Gold, Wits Gold and Sibanye-Stillwater) and has over 20 years’ industry experience.
- His work at Aprio has included investor, media and community guidance and advice for Orion Minerals, Thebe Investments, Consol and Pan African Resources.
Janet is a former Associate Editor with 25 years of media and communications experience.
For 16 years she was a financial journalist at the respected financial daily Business Day, where she ran the flagship Opinion & Analysis pages.
Janet’s specialisations include:
- Thought leadership
- Reputation management
- Communications strategy
- Investor relations
- Annual reports
- The full range of editorial work
Janet has written across a broad range of sectors on the JSE and remains steeped in the journalistic tradition of keeping her finger on the pulse. Her media and communications expertise spans the print, broadcast and digital disciplines.
Joanne is a leading corporate reputation strategist with over 17 years’ experience.
She has worked with iconic brands from around the world to develop reputation strategies that support business goals. She has a passion for strategy and has worked extensively on:
- Strategic reputation development
- Executive profiling and thought leadership
- Business development
- Media relations
- Issues management
During her career, she has worked with some of the best local and global brands from a range of fields – infrastructure development, finance, automotive, consumer, multimedia, telecommunications, data analytics and technology.
Her clients have included Starbucks, Bidvest Bank, RCL FOODS, Consol, Dimension Data, Woolworths, Impala Platinum, Trafigura, Coca-Cola, Experian, Citi, Puma Energy and Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa.
- Julian is the founder of Aprio and has over 25 years’ extensive experience in managing company communication programmes with a particular focus on reputational enhancement campaigns.
- From the mid-1980’s until the mid-2000’s, Julian was employed by the Anglovaal group (later African Rainbow Minerals), where he focused on internal communication, public and investor relations programmes, as well as corporate action processes.
- He formed Aprio in 2009 and the company has grown considerably to become one of South Africa’s leading communication company’s focused on multi-stakeholder communication programmes working across all key sectors of the country’s corporate environment.
- Aprio advised and guided Walmart and Starbucks with respect to their media campaigns when they entered the country, and has managed communication programmes for a variety of South African (listed and non-listed) corporate entities, among them: ArcelorMittal South Africa, Barclays Africa/ABSA, Bidvest, Long4Life, Impala Platinum, Edcon, Quilter (previously Old Mutual Wealth) and RCL FOODS.
- Working alongside these well-known and respected brands, as well as other names like BidCorp, Dis-Chem, Netcare, Pan African Resources, Consol and Cartrack has ensured that his network of influencers in the country, particularly among Tier 1 media and their respective editorial teams, is unmatched.
- Kim has had work experience with clients in the Investor Relations and Public Relations industry.
- Kim joined the Aprio team in March 2018.
- She is enthusiastic to enhance and refine her personal development at Aprio, and take on the challenges that lie ahead.
- Kim conducts in-house research to keep up with Aprio’s clients’ needs.
- She has gained experience in media relations, drafting and editing media pieces, social media and digital engagement.
- Kim has been working on accounts in the financial, mining and consumer industries.
Lydia du Plessis
- Lydia is an investor relations specialist with over 20 years’ experience across a range of industries, from financial services and retail, to technology, food producers and property.
- Lydia holds Mathematics and Business Administration degrees and specialises in investor and shareholder communication strategies, incorporating:
- Investor relations and debt relations programmes;
- Financial communication, including annual, interim and sustainability reports;
- Reputation management, specifically within the investment and corporate debt community;
- Perception studies;
- Investor relations websites;
- Financial results events, road shows and investor days.
- Lydia has significant experience in positioning companies as corporate brands and investment propositions and in establishing management credibility, building a long-term, diversified shareholder and debt funder base and providing quality financial disclosure.
- Michael is a former senior marketer and communications specialist with over 25 years’ experience in marketing and general business management.
- He has performed a variety of marketing leadership roles in blue-chip companies such as SABC, Centurion Systems, Bankservafrica and Baker & McKenzie.
- He is also a marketing coach and has assisted various small and medium size businesses with development and implementation of marketing strategy.
- Michael is an accomplished coach, writer, facilitator, public speaker and team motivator.
- During his career, Michael has rebranded three Blue-Chip national brands.
Over the years, Michael has specialised in:
- Building brands in blue-chip organisations
- Crafting marketing and communication strategies
- Delivering solutions utilising various classical marketing and communications disciplines including services marketing, product marketing, B2B marketing, advertising, PR and corporate communications.
- Michelle brings niche experience in public relations and has managed strategic communication campaigns for a range of leading brands in mining, consumer, infrastructure, construction, finance, steel, petroleum and retail industries.
- Since 2006, she has worked closely with clients that include Wesizwe Platinum, Nestle SA, the Consumer Goods Council of SA, Business Process Outsourcing, Call Centre Industry Association, the Concrete Manufacturers Association, the Nepad Business Foundation, Business Unity of SA, ArcelorMittal SA, Total SA, Verimark, the Retail Congress Africa, the United Nations Foundation, Impala Platinum, RCL Foods, Aveng, Capital Appreciation and Edcon.
- Michelle has experience in writing editorial such as newsletters, corporate brochures, press releases and articles. She compiled the Wesizwe Platinum sponsored community newspaper- the Ledig Sun, for two years, while working on the Wesizwe Platinum account and more recently, Aveng’s internal publications including Aveng News and Aveng World.
- Mpho previously worked for Gold Fields in the Corporate Affairs Department for seven years, specialising in event management, corporate gift solutions, content development and stakeholder engagement.
- She has experience in:
- 365 Business development
- Website design
- Digital communications
- Project management
- Her flair for working with visual materials and creative eye has seen her working in broadcast, travel and tourism, marketing research and advertising industries.
- Since 2014, she has worked with clients that include Famous Brands, Pan African Resources, Total South Africa, Starbucks, Long4Life, Barclays Africa/ABSA and Impala Platinum.
- Phillemon started working in the public relations and communication industry when he joined Aprio in 2013.
- While working at Aprio, he has gained experience in:
- Media relations
- Working with online PR and media management tools.
- Contributed to the development of the public relations strategy
- Social media management
- Organising media interviews
- Compiling media reports
- Media monitoring
- Developing media campaigns
- Compiling press releases
- Phillemon has worked on accounts including ArcelorMittal South Africa, Edcon, Khulisa Social Solutions, Precerete and Impala Platinum, among others.
- Rio began working in public relations in 2001 at Beachhead Media & Investor Relations, which later became Financial Dynamics, which in turn was acquired by FTI Consulting.
- His strength lies in financial public relations, with wide-ranging experience on clients such as Alexander Forbes, Discovery Group, the Financial Planning Institute, Nedbank, Assupol Life, Airports Company of South Africa, Centre for Development and Enterprise (CDE), Blue Catalyst and Samancor Chrome. In the last few years, while at Aprio, he has delved into the mining and industrial sectors with clients such as Richards Bay Minerals, Impala Platinum, Enel Green Power South Africa and Thebe Investment Group.
- Whilst at Beachhead, Rio was also part of the team that helped re-launch the South African Competition Commission.
- Before joining Aprio, Rio was with The Communication’s Firm, which is one of South Africa’s majority black-owned public relations companies with a reputation for its impactful communication strategies for various government departments, as well as on other accounts like ArcelorMittal South Africa, one of the brands at SABMiller and Afrisam.
- Ritz is Aprio’s resident creative spark. Having been schooled in the performing arts, Ritz went on to study:
- Web and graphic design
- Social media management
- Software development.
- 3D Animation
- Ritz has been with Aprio since its inception, handling the company’s social media management and in-house design needs – a role that has grown considerably, both as Aprio has grown and given the explosion in social media and the emergence of new communications platforms.
- Tracey has over 20 years’ experience in communications and provides a varied range of services in communications, employee wellbeing and social development. These include:
- Key account management
- Strategy development and facilitation
- Stakeholder engagement
- Content development
- Change management and communication
- Issues management
- Communication training
- Tracey has a particular interest and extensive experience in internal communication, especially in environments where the workforce is hard to reach and difficult to engage. Her experience in designing, implementing and managing an award-winning HIV/Aids programme in the mining industry provided a solid basis for innovative thinking in change communication and employee engagement.
- Further, Tracey also managed the Corporate Social Investment programme for De Beers, while being accountable for the broader social responsibility of the company in South Africa. This included the design and implementation of a community HIV/Aids programme, which sought to reduce the impact of the pandemic on the host and labour-sending communities important to the company and which was acknowledged nationally and globally for its foresight and impact. This called for effective stakeholder engagement across a range of different audiences. In this role, she was responsible for conceptualising and designing the strategy, message formulation and writing, as well as sustainable development reporting and integrated annual reporting according to international benchmarks and national governance requirements.
- Troye studied at Rand Afrikaans University, obtaining an Honors degree in Mineral Economics in 1989. He started his career at Gencor (today’s BHP Billiton) as a Minerals Economist for 2 years and was then transferred to subsidiary company Samancor Ferroalloys, where he worked as a Marketing Analyst for 5 years.
- In 1995, Troye ventured into stockbroking, working as a commodity/mining analyst until 2008. He covered companies in the steel, base metals and ferroalloy sectors and was part of a highly rated mining team at Barnard Jacobs Mellet and Nedcor Securities.
- He joined Lonmin Platinum in August 2008 as a Senior Manager in the Marketing Department, where he was responsible for Market Analysis. Troye left Lonmin in 2013 and has been consulting since then, amongst others to Noah Capital in mining equity analysis, covering companies such as Kumba, Exxaro and Wescoal.